Most Italian Meatball Soup recipes contain crusty bread and orzo pasta in
addition to the meatballs and veggies, so in order to ensure your best
fitness results we’ve left those high-calorie, high-carb ingredients out of
this delicious recipe. Instead we’ve filled this comforting soup with
wholesome ingredients like sweet potato, chickpeas, kale, tomatoes and
onion. Serve hot and enjoy!
What you need
1 lb loose Italian sausage
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 yellow onions, diced
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 (5 oz) package baby kale
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment
2. Form the sausage into 40 small meatballs using about a teaspoon of
sausage per meatball. Place the meatballs on one of the prepared baking
sheets and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl toss the diced sweet potato with 1 teaspoon of olive oil
and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Spread the sweet potato over the
remaining baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes,
4. Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions,
garlic, Italian seasoning, sea salt and red pepper flakes. Partially cover
and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are soft. Increase the heat to
5. Deglaze the pot with the wine and cook until evaporated. Stir in the
broth, tomatoes and sweet potato and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to
medium and simmer, 8-12 minutes.
6. Stir in the meatballs, chickpeas and the kale until wilted. Season to
taste with salt and black pepper. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 397 calories, 19g fat, 26g carbohydrate, 705mg sodium,
7g sugar, 9g fiber, and 20g protein.